Sunday, February 20, 2011

I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus.



I'm trying to be like Jesus,
I'm following in His ways.
I'm trying to love as He did, in all that I do and say.
At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice;
but I try to listen as the still, small voice whispers,

"Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
for these are the things that Jesus taught."

I'm trying to love my neighbor,
I'm learning to serve my friends. 
I watch for the day of gladness when Jesus will come again.
I try to remember the lessons He taught.
Then the Holy Spirit enters into my heart saying,

"Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
for these are the things Jesus taught."

"Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
for these are the things Jesus taught."




In Relief Society, we have a tendency to sing primary songs as our practice hymns because I LOVE primary songs. Well, one Sunday we sang this and I couldn't help but feel so overwhelmed with my emotions and how listening to the sisters in my ward sing this song made me feel. Since then, I concluded that this is my favorite primary song. I wanted to share some thoughts about it.

As you may have noticed, I highlighted a few key words that I found of great importance. (Not that the rest of the words aren't silly gooses!) As we look and read over the words and even just starting with the title, it states, "I'm TRYING to Be Like Jesus." A title and song that denotes that we are doing our best to become LIKE Him. The words I highlighted show that we are working at achieving that goal or denote that we are imperfect, and being humans fall short. 

In the scriptures we read, 
"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" -Romans 3:23

We also are constantly taught that it is ONLY through the Savior and His Atonement that we can reach and attain eternal perfection. Although, we ALSO learn:
"...that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." -2 Nephi 25:23

In all, I think that's why I love this song so much. Because it takes these two eternal truths and combines them into one. This song not only teaches us to be more like the Savior and to apply the principles that He taught, but teaches us that WE must do our part in order to obtain the characteristics of Christ. 
Let me go a little further. As you can see, many of the words highlighted are, "try" or forms of the word. This denotes that our Heavenly Father and Savior are aware that we are imperfect beings and that they recognize that we are TRYING our best. I think this song has touched me time and time again because it allows me to realize the love that our Heavenly Father and Savior have for us. 

I know for me personally folks, that there are days where I feel like I'm not good enough, that I'm not "perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect." (3 Nephi 12:48) Many times where I recognize that I am falling short...but this songs gives me hope. It allows me to recognize that I am only human, and that I am promised GREAT blessings as I DO MY PART.

"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." -2 Nephi 31:20.

Isn't that a FANTASTIC blessing? A FANTASTIC promise? A promise that if we (first, apply the principles and ordinances of the Gospel, including, 1) Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, 2) Repentance, 3) Baptism by Immersion, and 4) Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost) then we apply the last principle of the Gospel, which is 5) Enduring to the End, then we too may have and enjoy the blessings of eternal life!! 

This song is SO beautiful and it amazes me more and more each time I hear it. I realize each and every time how much my Heavenly Father and Savior love me. I realize that I AM trying to be like Jesus...and although it's hard, it IS possible. I know that I'm not perfect, but He recognizes when we are trying. And my friends, as we try, I KNOW that we will be able to feel the love of our Heavenly Father and Savior in our lives, and that His spirit will be more abundant with us. 

ISN'T THAT AMAZING TO KNOW?

I think so. And sometimes I fail to recognize that. But I'm working on recognizing it much better in my life. I'm TRYING. I'M TRYING TO BE LIKE JESUS. 

Well my friends...that's my thought for you today. If you'd like to know more...

---->    mormon.org    <----
---->    lds.org    <-----

I know that my explanations to things could have gone WAY more into depth...but here's your chance that if you'd like to find out more...that you are invited to do so :) Friends, I love the Gospel. I love my Savior. I love my Heavenly Father. Life is good. And I'm trying. I hope you are too.




Love, Marr-Rhyzle. 

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Marr-Rhyzle! Thanks for sharing! Thanks for helping me see the deeper meaning of this favorite primary song.. I've always loved this one. And it's true - the point isn't to stress ourselves out over being PERFECT, cause that's impossible! The point is to TRY to be like Him and that way, we can be WITH Him again! Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jacquie! :) I'm glad you enjoyed it! I think this is seriously one reason I LOVE primary songs! Because when we actually step back and analyze them a little further, we realize how much we learn from them. It's amazing because "we" learn so much of the Gospel from such a young age...I don't know, I love primary songs...they're amazing :)

    ReplyDelete